Under the supervision of the Development Manager, the Senior Database Administrator
develops and maintains the database related designs, procedures and standards, and operating production and non-production environments. As a member of a project team, the incumbent participates and supports systems in accordance with software development lifecycle (SDLC) processes and procedures, guidelines, and best industry practices. Primarily involved with technical teams, staff, faculty, and student communities, the Senior Database Administrator also provides technical support, assistance, coaching and mentoring to these stakeholders. Incumbent may also be asked to perform other duties as required.
Education & Experience:
Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computing Science required from a recognized institution.
- Additional and current Database Administration training or certifications.
- Minimum six (6) years of recent related experience in database development and administration, including a minimum of 3 years’ recent experience as the primary database administrator responsible for maintaining a large enterprise resource program. Candidates from medium to large organizations are preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Comprehensive knowledge of database administration and design standards, practices and tools with Oracle, Microsoft SQL and MySQL environments.
- Expert with writing SQL including complex JOINs, indexing and optimization.
- Expert with database modelling and ER diagrams, covering conceptual, logical and physical designs.
- Expert in performance profiling, tuning and query optimization using monitoring/troubleshooting tools.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Operating systems including scripting in both Unix-based and Windows environments.
- Excellent communication skills, verbally and written, in English.
- Excel at explaining and demonstrating complex business and technical concepts to all audiences.
- Ability to liaise with technical groups and assist them in the definition and articulation of their requirements.
- Ability to “think outside the box”, re-evaluate, and database management practices.
- Provide advice and support to users on the use and operation of application systems.
- Organize and manage time to meet deadlines.
- Effectively contribute to the overall improvement of department services and operations, team spirit, and morale.
- Work both independently and as a member of a committee or team.
- Work harmoniously with others.
- Aptitude to learn new methodologies, tools and technologies for requirement analysis and development.
- Exhibit high level of work ethics and professionalism within a business environment.
- Perform duties to meet established policies, practices and standards.
- NoSQL database sizing, provisioning and maintenance including AWS EC2 and serverless based. Specific experience with MongoDB, DynamoDB and Couchbase.
- NoSQL data modeling and optimization including key-value and document databases.
- Analytics and reporting tools such as Power BI and Tableau, including integration with RDBMS and NoSQL databases.
- Development of ETL processes including between RDBMS and NoSQL.
- Design, provisioning and maintenance of search engines such as Solr and Elastic Search.
- SQL and SQL optimization; N1QL and DAX.
- AWS cloud environment.
- Analytical skills and experience with data analysis tools e.g. R, Python.