This role will help deliver an enterprise-wide solution that:
- Supports an engaged, collaborative, and exceptional learning, research, and working environment for students, staff, and faculty.
- Enables a cohesive alignment of practices and processes
- Creates a simple, intuitive, consistent user experience where we interact with confidence and ease
- Ensures reliable, integrated, and accessible institutional data that enables people to make informed, strategic decisions
- Positions us and our people to embrace opportunities and adapt to future needs and requirements
- Provides robust, secure, sustainable solutions that are fiscally responsible.
The Senior Test Manager will provide technical expertise and operational management necessary to establish and manage testing activities across both major programs. Testing activities will be executed by various team members such as Test Leads, Project Managers, Subject Matter Experts or other members from the workstreams.
The Senior Test Manager will plan and track various testing activities, manage the defect triage process, report on test quality indicators and status, and improve existing testing methodology, processes, and standards.
The Senior Test Manager reports jointly to both the Program Directors, while working closely with workstream PMs, management and staff in IT, and other administrative and academic units across the University.
- Defines and implements the overall test strategy, test plans, estimates, and schedule. Works effectively with workstream project managers, product vendors, and system integrators to agree on the appropriate test approach to ensure the quality of the solution outcome is understood and known issues are actioned
- Advocates the appropriate level of testing based on quality, timeline, budget, and resources
- Works to ensure effective test planning and test execution of the integrated systems
- Selects and follows project management methods, procedures, and quality objectives, and tracks metrics for assessing progress
- Identifies potential areas for improvement in current methodologies
- Manages and coordinates all testing related activities in multiple concurrent releases focusing on one or multiple domains
- Drives execution of the plan to completion within the agreed timelines
- Tracks progress and prepare test reports
- Acts as an escalation point for testing issues related to the releases
- Works together with product vendors and workstreams to confirm the stability of the various environments. (e.g. coordinate smoke tests)
- Assesses testing readiness prior to the start of the Testing stage
- Ensures traceability between requirements and test cases
- Provides empirical data (e.g. test results, defect metrics) to support deployment readiness assessment go/no-go decision
- Conducts regular testing status reviews with IRP and AEP Senior Management at required quality checkpoints
- Balances workload, provides technical and analytical guidance in testing
- Creates Test Cases as needed
- Assesses the progress and effectiveness of the test effort
- Monitors and analyzes test results and defect metrics
- Contributes to formal project reviews
- Defines roles and responsibilities for the test team
- Builds the centrally coordinated testing team with Subject Matter Experts, testing resources, or other team members from the various workstreams
- Recruits and manages relevant testing members as needed
- Builds and maintains good working relationships and collaborates with team members who will take part in the testing activities
- Trains resources on the testing model, objectives, execution, and communication of test results
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Business Administration, Commerce, Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Business Technology Management, or other relevant program preferred.
- Certifications in one or more of the following are an asset: related test management or testing certifications (ISTQB, ASQ, PMI-RMP, Six Sigma).
- A minimum of 5 years of experience, in-depth knowledge of applications and the business requirements supporting them or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Intermediate experience with applications and the business requirements supporting them.
- Project Management experience is an asset.
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office tools (such as: MS Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Project.
Ability to demonstrate the following skills in day to day tasks:
- analyze and interpret information with strong attention to detail and accuracy
- exercise tact and discretion; prioritize, multi-task and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines
- work effectively independently under limited supervision and in a team environment;
- communicate effectively verbally and in writing; and clearly communicate issues and solutions to all levels, on both a formal and informal basis to a diverse group of audience.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts is an asset.
- Self-motivated and adept to deal with ambiguity within and of complex concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, exercise sound judgment and resolve problems.
- Strong knowledge of wide variety of testing approaches, practices, techniques, and tools.
- Strong knowledge of all aspects of the software development process.
- Strong experience in managing testing of configured COTS solution on cloud platform and various integrated point solutions.
- Strong experience in test case and defect management tools. Knowledge of Jama Software and JIRA is an asset.
- Knowledge of project management disciplines and best practices, applications development and implementation.
- Demonstrated ongoing career development through active and self-motivated professional development.
- Demonstrated track record and commitment to delivering results and proactively supporting applications and services.
- Experience in performance management, career development, problem-solving, change management, budget development and financial management.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities and work under pressure to meet critical, time sensitive deadlines.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to maintain accuracy and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of HR, Finance, or Student system.
- Experience in building cross-functional relationships.
Actively solicits ideas and opinions from others to efficiently and effectively accomplish specific objectives targeted at defined business outcomes. Openly encourages other team members to voice their ideas and concerns. Shows respect for differences and diversity, and disagrees without personalizing issues. Utilizes strengths of team members to achieve optimal performance.
Communicating for Results:
Conducts discussions with and writes memoranda to all levels of colleagues and peer groups in ways that support troubleshooting and problem solving. Seeks and shares relevant information, opinions, and judgments. Handles conflict empathetically. Explains the context of interrelated situations, asks probing questions, and solicits multiple sources of advice prior to taking action when appropriate.
Applies problem-solving methodologies and tools to diagnose and solve operational and interpersonal problems. Determines the potential causes of the problem and devises testing methodologies for validation. Shows empathy and objectivity toward individuals involved in the issue. Analyzes multiple alternatives, risks, and benefits for a range of potential solutions. Recommends resource requirements and collaborates with impacted stakeholders. Role Based Competencies:
Coordinates the information gathering and reporting process. Reviews trends and compares to expectations. Conducts research to define problems and prepares responses to anticipated questions. Prioritizes multiple issues and opportunities. Identifies relationships and linkages within several information sources. Anticipates issues that are not readily apparent on the surface. Identifies root causes and effects. Defines priorities within performance objectives. Reports and identifies areas that need guidance in order to resolve complex issues. Anticipates the possible outcome of potential solutions.
Business Process Knowledge:
Describes and documents critical cross-functional business process flows. Applies business process re-engineering techniques and methods in analyzing process flow and accountability charts. Recommends and advocates substantive process enhancements and assesses both internal and external implications.
Demonstrates operational agility. Uses organizational systems that result in multiple critical activities to be identified and completed on time. Renegotiates priorities as necessary. Puts systems in place and uses them to monitor and detect errors and problems. Tests and inspects outputs and applies quality checks prior to work submission.